Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Ring


After being reminded of our Mother's birthday,
I remembered the Mother's ring she was given by us all
on some occasion I do not recall.
I do not know what her feelings
were
or are
about that ring
but I do know mine.
I remember growing up
being amazed
how all the stones were arranged
in a way that would make anyone think each stone,
right to left,
were not placed in order of birth.
September's sapphires placed at either end.
The first was a son.
The last was a son.
Both turned out to be the daughter's emotional rocks.
Always looking at the sensibility of living in a family unit
and enjoying
not having the emotional outbursts
that rocked the boat of our clan.
They have learned
if they walked away long enough...
all would be well when they returned.
Next to sapphires is the garnets.
Eldest daughter
Youngest daughter
Both share the same dirty brown stone,
 loud laughs everyone enjoys hearing...
and little else.
The eldest found her path in life early and never thought to stray.
The youngest path is a wondering one
she has no want to find ''the path'' but explore them all.
Both believe paths are ''right''
and never see eye to eye.
Both blind to their similarity
of freely giving bits of wisdom
out of love.
In the middle of the ring
 two stones that have no match.
Growing up,
I felt sad
about their aloneness.
Only after getting older,
and learning who the people were
did I see the connection
between the stones
and the persons.
The Diamond is rare
holds great value.
Worth of the pale stone
risks being forgotten
when surrounded by all the color.
This person,
like the diamond,
stands out
catching fire in the light.
She draws eyes
to the beauty of the stones
yet refuses to be outshone by them.
The lone emerald
the remaining daughter
just like in the ring
brings a sense of peace
and purity
to the collection.
Both beautiful enough to stand alone
but opts to bring he gifts to all.
I loved that ring as a child.
The ring is how
I knew my older brothers and sisters.
I hope Mom passes it on to me.
As long as that ring has us all in a row together,
I have hope
someday,we can do the same.
Free from past baggage
and learn to appreciate the beauty of each other.
Much love to them all
from this
dirty red
Garnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment